Monday, February 25, 2013

40 Day Paleo Challenge - Day 13


I feel like, for the first time in my life, that I am truly, truly happy. I didn't just have this realization today, I think I've been slowly building up to it over the last few months.  Not that I was miserable in the past - sure, there were times - but I don't think I felt like my life made sense. I never felt centered, and I always felt like I was missing "something." Not that I knew what the "something" was. And I think that not knowing lead me on all kinds of paths and had me trying to find that missing piece in many different ways. But I am finally here. I'm where I want to be.  And it is such a good feeling. I didn't even intend for it to happen!


  • For starters, I have the most amazing husband. He's the nicest guy in the world. And we get along so well that it's borderline creepy. I often look at him and wonder how I got so lucky.
  • I have an amazing family - from my immediate family to my extended family to my in-laws - boy did I luck out there. People say, "you can't pick your family" - and that phrase has never really applied to me. I lucked out to have some of the craziest, most fun people in the world in my family tree.  
  • My friends - I have a small group of friends, and honestly, I don't even see them that much any more with all of our crazy lives. But I love them all dearly and am blessed to have them in my life. 
  • My health. Rewind to December 2012 and I will forever be thankful for my health. That virus was a fluke, but a great reminder that I should be thankful that I am one healthy chick.

I could go on and on... about my cats, my favorite blogs, Paleo food, and all the other things I'm thankful for... but I'll spare you.  Why am I rambling about these beautiful things in my life?  Because I think a large component of why I am so happy is because I focus on my blessings. Sure, sometimes work is stressful, or I may be in a grumpy mood (usually caused by lack of food).  But then something will happen to remind me of all the greatness going on in my world. I thank the Lord for each day that I have -- it's truly a gift to be here, and I am appreciative for every breath I take.

Okay, too much seriousness there for me. Let's talk food.  What did I eat today? BTW - I'm going start posting recipes at the very bottom of the post. Mixing them in with the Food Diary is just too cluttered.

Day 13
Breakfast
The usual, as usual.

Lunch
Eggplant fries, 1 chicken drumstick, 1 hot Italian sausage. Later, a banana, because I'm a piggy.

Snack
Caramel Pecan Bars oink oink.

Dinner
Leftover pistachio/walnut crusted fish, and some curry. We are suckers for curry in this house.

Dessert
Double Layer Fudge heeeeere piggy piggy. I don't know what's wrong with me today, I ate a ton. Oh well!


Easy Curry Recipe
Ingredients
Your veggies of choice
1 or 2 cans of organic coconut milk (will depend on the quantity of veggies you use)
Cayenne Pepper
Red Pepper Flakes
Curry
Salt
Savory Spice Ghost Pepper Salt (optional... but SO worth it) 

Directions
  1. Chop veggies. Tonight, I used red onion, red pepper, 2 yellow squash, 1 zucchini, 1 head of broccoli, 10 mushrooms, 4 carrots, bok choy.
  2. Saute veggies in a large pot. I use this huge wok thing. It's awesome. Cook most but not all of the way. I recommend adding veggies in order of difficulty to cook. For example, bok choy is leafy, so it went last.
  3. Add coconut milk and spices. I use lots of the hot spices (cayenne, red pepper flakes, ghost pepper salt), but we're nuts. Add at your own risk.
  4. Bring the mix to a boil, then reduce to low/simmer and cover. Let cook an additional 10 minutes or so.  
  5. Scarf. Have water available if you are a wimp on the spices ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment