For dinner tonight, I threw together a medley of dishes based on what we had in the fridge. I know green beans aren't considered true Paleo, but c'est la vie. This meal wasn't extremely difficult nor super creative, but it was delicious, so I figured I'd share.
My pictures aren't great, but I'll get better at photographing my food. Promise.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 egg
- Paleo "breadcrumbs":
- almond flour
- garlic powder
- Peel eggplant and cut into "fries".
- Whisk an egg in one bowl, create Paleo breading in another.
- Heat up enough oil on a skillet to coat the bottom and then some, on medium-high heat. You'll know it's ready to go when a drop of water sizzles on the oil. But you know this already, this is Cooking 101.
- Roll eggplant fries in Paleo breading, dip in whisked egg then roll in breading again. Transfer to skillet.
- Don't fill up the skillet with too many fries. I got lazy and put too many in, and the breading fell off some of the fries. Best to set them up so they are easy to flip and won't touch other fries.
- Fry for about 2 minutes on each side, then transfer to a plate with a napkin on top (to catch all of the grease).
- Repeat for remaining fries.
- What until they are cool to enjoy. I made the mistake of not waiting.
For the other two items, I won't go into insane recipe detail. I sauteed the veggies and then the fish. But here is a gist of the ingredient - nothing fancy:
- Green beans
- Yellow onion, quartered
- Red pepper, chopped
- couple of dashes of cayenne pepper (or more, if you live in our house. We heart cayenne pepper!)
- garlic powder - I normally have real garlic lying around, but not today
- Surprise! - red grouper
- garlic powder (ditto on the comment above in Veggie Medley)
So, a few pretty simple dishes. Nothing crazy tonight. Tomorrow we're doing pizza on the grill (using a stone). Can't wait! And I better enjoy it, because very soon I'll be doing the 40 Day Challenge.
Speaking of which, start marking your calendars if you are interested in participating. I plan to post the guidelines this weekend. We will start the challenge on Wednesday, February 13 and finish the challenge on Sunday, March 31. I will make the challenged more "primal" than "paleo" - but more on that when I post the guidelines. Stay tuned!