Friday, March 15, 2013

40 Day Paleo Challenge - Days 30 & 31

the moon, duh
I love coincidences. Two days ago, I posted about how I think space is da bomb.  Yesterday, my husband's coworker invited us out to the beach to look for the Pan-STARRs comet. He had a rockin' telescope, and unfortunately, we weren't able to see the comet. But Marcos and I didn't care -- we got to see, in incredible detail: the moon, Jupiter, and Orion's nebula.

Jupiter and it's glorious stripes







AWESOME!!  No complaints from us that we didn't get to see the comet. It was nerdtastic.


Orion's belt and the Orion nebula
Days 30 & 31

So, I have sort of failed in keeping track of what I've eaten yesterday and today. I can tell you that breakfast has been the norm, lunch has been roasted veggies and meat, and dinner has been small both days.  I've had less food for dinner both days, which has been my goal (that I haven't been keeping up with). Because my dinners were smaller, I slept better, and woke up thinner than normal (woohoo!). There isn't a need for large dinners, because your body isn't going to exert much energy in the evening (most days). So why stuff your belly and then pray that your digestive process can get through it all (which it usually can't)? 

But to make up for my lack of food diary, I have one of our onion bread recipes for you. Yay! I think at the end of the challenge, I'll collect all of the recipes I've posted thus far, and make each recipe an individual post. It should make finding them later easier for you (and me).


Onion "Bread" (Paleo, raw-ish)

Ingredients
  • 3 large, white onions
  • 1 tomato
  • 1 cup flaxseed
  • 2 cups sunflower seeds
  • 2 tablespoons oregano (plus or minus, to taste)
  • 2 tablespoons dried basil (or fresh, it's better!)
  • 1 tablespoons tamari
Note: your ingredients can kind of vary here. Sometimes we add cayenne pepper or ghost pepper, to give the batch a kick.  Get creative with your spices and ingredients. Experiment on your own or search other recipes for ideas.

Directions
mushy mess
  1. Grind sunflower seeds in food processor.
  2. Add ground sunflower seeds, flaxseed, oregano, basil to a large bowl.
  3. Remove the outer layers of the onions.
  4. Put the first onion in the food processor. Blend that bad boy until it's mush.
  5. Add the onion to the large bowl with dry ingredients.
  6. Repeat with onion #2, #3, and the tomato. (I find it easier to do them individually, there's no harm in batch processing them.)
  7. Add tamari to the large bowl.
  8. Mix all ingredients really well. Sample the batch. If you find it needs more of a certain flavor, by all means, add it, you crazy fool!  
  9. Spread equal amounts of this mushy mess onto dehydrator sheets. Shape each as you wish (we tend to do circular).  Make sure that there aren't any bare spots and that all of the mixture connects.  
  10. Dehydrate on 115 degrees for at least 8 hours. The time will vary based on the thickness of the mixture on each sheet. Ours usually takes 10-11 hours or so.
  11. That's it! When finished, store the "bread" in a container. Leaving it out in the open air will allow the moisture back in, and that's counter-productive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment