Friday, December 28, 2012

Paleo Clam Chowder Recipe

So, I have a few new favorite things to do regarding recipes:
  • find Paleo recipes and try them
  • take recipes and attempt to make them Paleo
(Notice a trend there?)  As you've probably seen in very recent posts - since I don't have many posts to begin with - I love PaleOMG. Juli is hilarious and really knows her way around the kitchen. I guarantee that if you cook any of her (Paleo!) recipes, you will be a happy person. 

I'm trying to focus on becoming more and more Paleo. To learn more about Paleo, or "primal" eating, check out Mark's Daily Apple. And don't get too sucked in to surfing his site, as I often do. Make sure to come back here and check out my super awesome yummy easy one-pot Paleo Clam Chowder!!!

Paleo Clam Chowder
Ingredients - all organic

  • 1 package of nitrate and nitrite free bacon (Usually Applegate for me)
  • 2 leeks
  • 1 medium onion
  • 5 or so carrots (up to you - I believe more is always better with veggies!)
  • 5 or so celery stalks (ditto)
  • 1 head of cauliflower (I like to use cauliflower in place of potatoes in recipes)
  • 2 6.5 oz. cans of clams (I like Bar Harbor brand)
  • 2 14 oz. cans of coconut milk
  • 2 tbs. dill
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Yields: Depends on how much you eat. I'd estimate 4-6 servings. But I didn't actually count the last time we made it. Will update next time I do. :)
  1. Cook bacon strips. 
  2. While cooking the bacon, chop the veggies into bite-size pieces (can't be too big, we're making soup here!)
  3. Transfer bacon grease into large pot, if you didn't cook it in a large one to begin with. I like as few dishes as possible, so I usually cook the bacon in the pot I'll be cooking the chowder in. The cooked bacon should be out of the pot and off to the side for now. 
  4. Saute the veggies in the bacon grease until cauliflower is tender (as this one tends to take the longest to cook).
  5. Add coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then put on simmer for about 10 minutes. While you're waiting, chop the bacon into small pieces.
  6. Transfer about 2/3 of the soup to your blender. Blend really well. This thickens up the soup - which is why we don't need no stinkin' cream in our soup... hell-o healthy!!
  7. Transfer blended soup back to pot.
  8. Add bacon, clams, dill, salt, and pepper to the soup. I really don't measure anything when I cook, so the amount of dill mentioned above is a rough guess. Add the spices to the soup to suit your preferences.
  9. Let simmer for another 10 minutes, or if you're really hungry, crank it up to medium heat for a few minutes. 
  10. Taste. Yum! Who would have thought this was healthy and easy to make?! Now go enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment