Wednesday, November 28, 2012

'Tis the Season!

So cliche... but... I love this time of year. I love Thanksgiving - food, football, more food.  I love Christmas - cheerful moods, songs you can't help but sing along with, family traditions.  I just put out most of our Christmas decorations; we still need to buy a tree and hang the lights outside.  We're thisclose from being Christmas-ready.

Let's give you a glimpse into my Wednesday night.  Hubby is at soccer practice, so I get to do whatever I feel like. Which means I have Newsies playing in the background, and I'm sipping a glass of wine and eating some of my new favorite recipe: blueberry & chocolate chip bread.  I'm too lazy to go all the way to Whole Foods to buy Pure Pumpkin, so I use grated zucchini/squash instead (organic, always). Between the sugar rush and my love for Disney, I am one happy lady.

So when I started this blog several years ago, it was actually meant to be a distraction. (I will recap since I have decided to reset the blog 3 posts ago.)  I was pretty bummed out because, at the time, I was just laid off from my job as a process engineer. With the economic downturn in 2008, the Fortune 500 corporation I worked for decided to pursue more cost-effective methods and move the business to China or Mexico (depending on the client).  As a recently graduated, A-average student with a degree in Industrial Engineering, I wasn't prepared to experience joblessness so soon. Of course, it wasn't my fault; the entire plant was shut down and everyone who worked there was laid off. But one of the lessons learned is that a layoff is certainly not the end of the world. Being the diligent person I am, I dedicated all of my free time looking for a job. Which, if you've ever been in that situation, there are only so many sane hours available in each day to comb through every single posting in Monster.com and other job sites. I decided to start a blog to, as I said before, provide me with a distraction.

One of the great things about blogging is that I don't want to sound like a negative Nancy to the general population.  Instead, I tend to write a little more positively, and by doing so, my feelings and thoughts tend to be a little more positive as a result. Sometimes, forcing yourself to display how you want to be seen as will force you to actually be more like this imagined self. It's weird, but it works.

Blogging post-layoff was a bit like free therapy for me.  I found a new job, and life got back on track. As you might expect, I dropped off the face of the (blogger) world. Now, I've started up again. What does that mean? Does that mean I need blog therapy again?  Actually, no.  I'm completely content with my life. I'm really blessed - and I'm not just saying that to sound happier via blog. I realized that I actually enjoyed blogging. Why, you ask? Is it to give me some place to ramble on and on and on? Big fat YES to that question! But I also want to have the opportunity to share my discoveries. Whether it's a recipe or a workout, I may not be the original source, but I think I can point folks in the right direction.  I'm an excellent cook and I workout very hard. I enjoy researching anything regarding health and nutrition.  I also think I have a pretty good perspective on life.  I may be young in age but I'm an old spirit.  I'd like to share my experiences as I go, and hopefully help others find the answers they need.

Since I have written quite a few paragraphs already and the average person's attention threshold is pretty short, I've probably already bored you on to some other site. But, if you're still lingering, here are some of my random thoughts from my own or observing other's recent experiences.


  • Communication is the key to making any relationship work. 
  • If something in your life makes you unhappy, change it. Odds are, it isn't going to magically go away. You have to take the first step towards change - whether it's an inch or a yard forward, the smallest change will initiate more change. Be open and willing to make changes. 
  • Quality of life is important!  Don't overwork yourself, and use your vacation time! Being able to recharge yourself regularly makes you not only a less-stressed person, but also a better employee. And from another perspective...not to be morbid, but... if you got hit by a bus tomorrow, would you look back and be disappointed? Work is important, that is for sure. But, quality of life is important too. If you're like me and you work a 9-5... work really hard in those hours. Give it your all and when the day is up, go home knowing you did your best.  But also, make sure to have a life outside of work, and give that life just as much focus. If it's your kids, working out, cooking, or other hobbies, treat them with us much seriousness as your job. You CAN work hard and play hard. But make sure to rest hard, too :)
  • Smile. Be happy. Find that silver lining. Yes, there are always people that will be better off than you. But if you're reading this right now, that tells me that you have access to internet. Which means that you have access to computers and technology. Which means life isn't so bad. A few friends and I recently took part in the St. Jude Give Thanks walk.  If you're ever having a bad day, think about what it must be like for a child of St. Jude... or even the child's family. Your problems seem minuscule now, right? 

Okay, enough rambling for the day. Plus, Newsies is about over. Talk to y'all soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment